This is an essential part of medicine and of naturopathy.
What are the components that we work with in lifestyle medicine?
- Sleep: psychotherapy and education regarding restful sleep.
- Exercise: physiotherapy and sport
- Relaxation: Yoga, Wellness, Meditation, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).
- Physiotherapy for respiratory problems. Includes the use of didgeridoos for asthma, COPD, sleep apnea and cystic fibrosis (aka mucoviscidosis), .
- Psychotherapy, especially cognitive therapy.
- Cultivation of social contacts eg family and friends. Psychotherapy, self-help groups, etc
- Avoidance of toxins: tobacco, alcohol, drugs, medicines, psycho-pharmaceuticals. Medical support while coming off these harmful habits.
- Accommodation and a living environment that is wholesome for the body and mind.
As can be seen, lifestyle medicine is chiefly based upon the advice of doctors, nutritionists, physiotherapists and psychotherapists. Few drugs are prescribed and there are few interventions or operations.